13 September 2010

Memorial Tattoo!

This is a picture of my "memorial tattoo" I got this when I was in Chicago last year. It is for my grandmas both on my mom's side. My grandma passed away suddenly from a heart condition when I was 16. Then my great grandma passed away after a long battle with hip cancer when I was 18. Both of them were the strongest women I knew and it devestated my whole family, but since I was the oldest I felt like I had to be strong for my little sisters and cousins. This was my way of letting go. The thimble that the angel is sitting on is for grandma, she was the most amazing sewer (if thats a word) that I have ever known. Anything we wanted she would make for us. And the puzzle pieces are for great grandma, she LOVED puzzles. It was her very favorite hobby on earth.

Sitting in a tattoo parlor in pain for 3 hours was the least that I could do for them. I am so proud that I get to have them on my back everyday for the rest of my life.

I know that they didn't die from drunk driving, but when Ashley mentioned memorial tattoos it really struck home for me. Art is something that has always been an outlet for me so being able to draw something for them and having an artist put it on my body perminatly was so natural for me. It definetly helped me heal and I love to show it off anytime someone asks.

I thought I would share it with you Ashley. I think that it is something like personal stories that will make your project amazing and also allow so many people to heal. I hope you get the memorial tattoo that you want to get.. and I would LOVE to go with you if you need someone.

3 comments:

  1. I love the meaning/ symbols in your art, and I think I will still do a project for my own or for a different class on memorial tattoos because even though I haven't gotten mine yet, I think the pain and the process and the art is extremely important in healing and thanks so much for sharing with me!!! and I may take you up on the offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is really helpful for a lot of us in ART 479 =]

    The importance of memorial tattoos may be something that could get people [who aren't too pumped about body mods] to realize just how important body mods are. They can possibly lessen the negative stigma of tattooing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with that, I got a tattoo of a butterfly and a chinese symbol when I was 16 to represent my grandmother (when she was still alive) and she hated it and wished I never got it, well before she passed we had conversations about a memorial tattoo because I told her after she passed one day I would get a portrait done of her and I showed her some artwork and she actually approved and thought they were both beautiful and meaningful.

    ReplyDelete