03 March 2011

Artist Statement:

The historic neighborhood of Franklinton is a diverse, evolving community with a rich heritage. It was established in 1797 and the first settlement in Ohio. It has endured devastating floods and poverty, both of which have stigmatized the outsider's perspective of this promising neighborhood. Most of the references that I have had throughout my life, in regard to Franklinton, have been negative. My research into the neighborhood has allowed me to reveal many positive aspects to Franklinton.

The floodwall construction in 1994 has paved the way for revitalization through new construction and renovation. My initial interest began with my passion for architecture and concern when neglect and decay occur. My direction evolved into a social awareness campaign focused on the impact that community support has on maintaining and revitalizing a neighborhood.

My objective is to highlight some of the positive aspects to this community with the goal to revise the negative image associated with the historic neighborhood of Franklinton.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really good Mike. I'm not sure what to tell you on how to improve it . . .

    ReplyDelete