01 February 2011

Getting a little clearer on form.

Taking a queue from josh (thanks!), I'm trying to focus on content as well and I've been drafting ideas for more activities that could be done or even just thought about.
This process has lead me to a little clearer definition of how the book will function.

I have this book on semiotics for designers called, This Means This, This Means That, that is set up in a really easy to use way which I think will be a good place to start. It consists of a page with a question about a picture or illustration, followed by a response on the back of the page. I think this is a good place to start.
Another book I have been reading, that deals with the information I'm interested in, has group activities at the end of each chapter intended to use to reflect on the chapter and is pretty inspiring-
I'll bring these books to class one day soon (hopefully) and see what you guys think!

I've also been trying to think about tone. I think it needs to establish a certain seriousness so that the ideas are actually contemplated by the reader, but I think it should be more humorous or playful than some of the things like it that I have.
While thinking about this it hit me that if I want to use photographs I am going to have to take them myself or pay for them. I've also been really considering illustrations. I feel like a mix of them could work as well, but maybe more difficult.

I'll post some more detailed stuff about the content I've come up with on my separate blog too.
What do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. I like it! Thanks for sharing with us! You have been a little too silent since the first day back about your book! Keep with it, and dont think too much about a title. Once you have the content, a title will appear. When the student is ready, the master will appear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! yeah, the title will likely be the last thing- unless it needs become part of the concept and shape the book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of including illustrations (or photographs). Nice!

    ReplyDelete