08 February 2011

I finally met with Zoe today. and the meeting was awesome! i learned so many new things, and actually what really happens behind the scenes in the medical industry. i was completely shocked. and i now know more what to research further into. but i just wanted to give you guys the jist on her story. more will come when i finish up editing.

but here is just some background information:
Zoe was diagnosed at the age of 30 with breast cancer.
started chemo on December 16th, & unfortunately it was her birthday.
Since she didn't have medical insurance she was offered to do a clinical trial.
She under went many drug testings, chemo, radiation, and hormone injections.
cancer reoccurred again when she was 34.
she had under went 2 surgeries and has had a mastectomy done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For some reason, when this was going on, I kept visualizing grenades. Grenades or guns with my breast."
^ this also gives me another idea to work with visually.



"I went back, and they told me I had cancer. Then they wanted to take both my breast, go through radiation again, and give me more hormones. And like, I already did that for a year a half. So that’s when I just was like, I give up. I quit. I cannot do this. I did everything you said to do. And it didn’t work. You didn’t even want to listen to me when it came back. You didn’t want to believe me. And im here. And pretty much, both times, I begged to tell people I had cancer. No one wanted to look at me. And then you finally look at me, and then I did everything you said, then I come back, and you tell me to shutup. And now its 'oops, we’re sorry but you have cancer again. It didn’t work', and your just like fuck, what do you mean? now you want to take my body parts? I’m suppose to trust you with my body parts, and you want to put more chemicals in me. It was just like, I made it this far and I was like I don’t even know who you people are.

I was fighting two wars at once, and I was getting tired. Then my surgeon dropped me, I just wanted time, they gave me like 3 weeks to make this life decision. I just been through a year and a half of loss. I mean I lost a lot, I lost my boyfriend, I lost trust."



"There is A LOT of money in breast cancer; everyone knows the pink ribbon, the pink wigs. All they have to do is put a pink ribbon on a product, and sat we support. And that’s all they have to do. When I left that walk, I couldn’t believe it. I will never do it again. It was a gimic. I was like this is bullshit. I’m walking, and first of all, I didn’t have any hair and I didn’t own a wig. I’m not kidding you, there were thousands of people and I was like where are the people that are sick? Where are the people with cancer? I don’t know if they all were wearing a wigs, but I couldn’t find any of the people with cancer. It was weird. It was such a weird day. It felt like I was the only one with cancer. I know those people are survivors but I mean like it was just like another thing you wanna support. It was like be who you are, and we are here to support you but no one even shows that. I didn’t even see one bald person there. I didn’t even feel support, I felt like I was in some fake commercial. So I wont do that again. And then I talked to my nurse, and she said that they are making more money now and they are cutting back more and more. And the pink ribbon symbol, it is crap. Literally, it’s a business, it’s a corporation."

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome Jen! I got the chills the whole time I was reading this. I hope that you can find more people who want to share like Zoe because this could make your project so much stronger.

    How did she feel about "Fuck Breast Cancer"? Hopefully good because it would be awesome to see her reaction to pink against her reaction to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such great info, Jenn! Really powerful and insightful. I've thought about breast cancer before, but never REALLY had an inside look at how really emotionally and mentally painful it can be, as well. I'm so glad you got to meet with Zoe, this sounds so promising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Jennifer. You were so lucky to get somebody like Zoe because not every one could share the extend she did. Like Jessica said, I hope you can find more people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey jenn, that is a gut wrenching story and so real. I didn't realize that Zoe was the same person that modeled for us in figure drawing, she was an awesome model.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes she is very amazing person, and very strong! I have yet to put all of her story up but it is indeed an eye opener into how breast cancer has turned itself into such an industry as far as the pink campaigns, and within the medical fields.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep working with this material - the images, the quotes, the tone - while you move forward and spread out in other directions.

    Is there anyone else Zoe knows to contact? Would others be more likely to help you if you could (anonymously) share this story to help them see why you are doing this? Are there low-income health clinics that might have good information in terms of the "no health insurance" angle?

    ReplyDelete