10 March 2011

Artist Statement... kinda

This is my first draft and I sort of just spilled all my thoughts on a page so thats why it may not make sense.  Sorry I am bombarding the blog but I didn't get to do anything fun for Spring Break. :(



When you see an unappealing picture of yourself it is easy to delete it so that it never has to be seen again.  Don’t Delete Yourself is about avoiding the delete button.  The delete button is the enemy and allows you to write yourself as unworthy of the person you are or who you are meant to be.  The delete button takes the power away from you.  Only you can define the person you are or who you want to be, not a button.  Don’t rely on the button for your happiness. 

Don’t Delete Yourself is a new age ‘love yourself’ movement.  It allows people who are insecure with the way they look or who they are, to come together and lift each other up.  This empowers the young people of today so that the young people of tomorrow will be able to love ourselves more than we ever did.  We let so many things and people tear us down or tear us apart so that we aren’t even the same person anymore.  Makeup to cover up our imperfections and secrets to cover up our stories is not a way to live.  It needs to stop.

People who are not happy with the person they are easily write themselves off as unworthy of happiness, love, and much more.  Don’t Delete Yourself is something that is near and dear to my heart because for years I was unhappy with the way that I looked because I was different from all of my friends.  I was taller than the boys in my class; I had curves, freckles and red hair.  None of my friends could relate to me so I thought that I was unworthy of the amazing things in life.  That’s not a way to live and defiantly not a way to love.

I wanted to learn to love myself so that my future children and the people who look up to me can love themselves too.  I want to be a role model to so many beautiful girls who are dubbed “different”.  Don’t Delete Yourself is for role models and future role models.  Don’t Delete Yourself if for you. 

2 comments:

  1. I really like how this is very empowering. I like how you put your insecurities in the statement it makes it relatable to others, when you bare your insecurities. Other than grammar and stuff it sounds good.

    Oh why I am thinking I found this quote in an old Cosmo magazine and it made me think how important your project could be to people.

    “I saw a picture of myself today. A picture that made my heart sink in my stomach, my hatred, of the way that I looked in this picture made me nauseated. My happiness was gone; I hated myself at that moment. I hated the way I looked. My fat chin that sit below a smile that at that moment I meant but if I knew that is what was perceived then I would have never smiled. What did people think when they saw this? I can just imagine…. look at her chin, her body, doesn't she know what she looks like? As for what I think ….why does this have to be me?”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel really good about this. It does a great job of explaining "Don't Delete Yourself" to someone who may have no idea what it's about.

    Just a suggestion, but I think it would be really cool to start it off with a question, not changing the meaning of your first sentence, but changing its form to something like, "How many times have you deleted an unappealing picture of yourself? It's so easy..." etc etc something of the sort. Ever since reading Deanna's statement, I've really liked the "question as a hook" idea. It would be awesome if we could all start our statements off with a question =] although I'm sure it wouldn't be fair to ask everyone to do that haha.

    This is really strong, Jess!

    ReplyDelete