10 March 2011

My attempt at my Artist Statement

Have you ever thought of how societies standards have influenced your way of everyday life, through our language, what you buy, and how you perceive everything? Did you ever think a simple color could influence how you perceive everything? It makes you grab that really ripe apple, that bright orange, orange, or that box of organic or low-fat granola bars. Did you know the colors of these products influence what you buy? It begs you to question how & why, it begs for you to know what the truth really is. Why buy the reddest apple in the bunch? Are oranges really that orange? Are the organic, low-fat products better?

My senior thesis is to expose this to you. Show you how color can affect you emotionally, physically, and psychologically. It influences what you buy, need it be food or a car. It can make you feel happy, sad, angry and even hungry. Color can persuade us, and manipulate our senses.

Color is important to your sense of sight; it’s in your descriptions of things, its what you see first. You rely so much on color to identify things could you imagine not seeing certain colors, and how that may affect you? Color is so important to us as a society, so much so that society has made certain colors subconsciously create meanings that we as a society have come to naturally live by over the years. These subconscious meanings are so embedded into our brains we don’t think twice about what the truth really is, and how come you prefer the granola bars with the green label than the one with the blue?

2 comments:

  1. Your first sentence is a great hook - it's not a standard "My show is about...etc etc." So it will definitely draw people in more so than a standard statement. It really engages the reader, as well, by encouraging them to think about how color has affected them personally.

    I like how your first paragraph sets the scene, then your second paragraph gets more specific to your show. I need to take a page out of your book!! My statement thus far is a bit too involved with the details of my show and I worry it might be a little boring in that it doesn't involved readers enough...definitely need to work on that.

    There are a couple wordings, phrases, and grammatical couplings that I would change, but I think it's really strong overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that I like the very last sentence, although I do like the idea of ending with a question, pushing the reader to continue to consider the value of your show even after reading your statement.

    ReplyDelete